Acupuncture for Embryo Transfer with the LA Herbs and Acupuncture Transfer Team
LA Herbs and Acupuncture offers onsite acupuncture for the day of embryo transfer during an IVF cycle. While this procedure is typically combined with in-office care, it can be provided as a stand-alone treatment. All of our practitioners are highly trained in the protocol pertaining to IVF transfer, known as the Paulus Protocol, a landmark 2002 study which demonstrated increased pregnancy rates among the group who received acupuncture before and after embryo transfer.
- A 2002 study, led by Dr. Wolfgang E. Paulus and documented in the journal Fertility and Sterility*, compared women undergoing IVF with and without pre/post transfer acupuncture.
- As a result of this study’s outcome, acupuncture has become commonplace in Fertility clinics on transfer day.
- Result(s): Clinical pregnancies were documented in 34 of 80 patients (42.5%) in the acupuncture group,
- Whereas the pregnancy rate was only 26.3% (21 out of 80 patients) in the control group.
- Conclusion(s): Acupuncture seems to be a useful tool for improving pregnancy rates after ART.